- The speller must not have won a Scripps National Spelling Bee championship in Washington, D.C.
- The speller must not have repeated a grade for the purpose of extending spelling bee legibility.
- The speller must not have earned the legal equivalent of a high school diploma.
- The speller must not have completed or have been enrolled in more than six high school-level courses or two college-level courses on or before April 30,
- The speller must not ignore or adjust normal school activity to study for spelling bees.
Spelling B-E-E officials will do their best to accommodate spellers who have physical challenges. Please submit a notice during time of enrollment to accommodate special needs involving sight, hearing, speech, or movement. The judges have discretionary authority to amend oral and/or written spelling requirements on a case-by-case basis for spellers with diagnosed medical conditions involving sight, hearing, speech, or movement.