- The speller must not have won a Scripps National Spelling Bee championship in Washington, D.C.
- The speller must not have passed beyond the 8th grade on or before February 1, 2013
- The speller must not have repeated a grade for the purpose of extending spelling bee legibility.
- The speller must not have earned the legal equivalent of a high school diploma.
- The speller must not have completed or have been enrolled in more than six high school-level courses or two college-level courses on or before April 30,
- The speller must not ignore or adjust normal school activity to study for spelling bees.
Preliminary Round Detailed Rule
- Students will be tested by a written test to spell 30-40 words or may be more in order to decide the top 6.
- Top 6 students will be picked up for the finals in each grade.
Spelling bee officials will do their best to accommodate spellers who have physical challenges. Please submit a notice during time of enrollment to accommodate special needs involving sight, hearing, speech, or movement. The judges have discretionary authority to amend oral and/or written spelling requirements on a case-by-case basis for spellers with diagnosed medical conditions involving sight, hearing, speech, or movement.